Who would have thought polenta could make a cake ay? It can and it worked out pretty awesome. I will recreate this recipe again and amend however it is a good first try, the cake held together nicely, wasn’t dry but it is not sweet enough I think! You could play around with different sugars to see if this creates a sweeter cake. Cherries are one of my faveee fruits and they are in season so I figured why not pair them?! The cake is naturally gluten free too.
1/2 cup ground almonds
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/3 cup maple syrup
2 tbsp coconut oil
2 flax eggs
- Preheat your oven to 160 fan/ 350 Fahrenheit and line a spring back cake tin with baking paper.
- Make you flax eggs and let sit for 5 minutes/ In a bowl, mix your ground almonds, baking powder and polenta.
- Next melt your coconut oil and once your flax eggs are set add along with the rest of the wet ingredients to dry. Incorporate well.
- Stir in your cherries that are chopped ensuring no pips are left!
- Bake for 20 minutes. Allow to cool before slicing. Perfect served with dairy free custard or oat/soya cream!